Tuesday 4 August 2015

A Box of Happiness


It was a typical Monday morning at office when I got a package with my name written on it. My birthday was the day before; on a hot summer day in July. I celebrated it with myself by having karaoke and eating out. I had planned to go out with my best friends on my birthday but because one and other things we had agreed to move the celebration to the following weekend. I was a bit sad until I saw that package.

I saw the sender’s name and I couldn't help but smiling ear to ear opening the package.

It was wrapped with transparent plastic so I could see the box inside. I carefully opened the plastic wrap. The box easily caught my attention since it had different colours in each side: yellow for top, white for bottom, and green, blue, pink, and cream on four other sides. I noticed pink and white laces glued on the box cover.

"Today is your day."

It was said on the yellow box cover. The letters were black while the highlight was pink. There were some London-related stickers like double-decker bus, red telephone boxes, London mailboxes, and tiny royal guards.


Without hesitation I opened the box. In the middle of the box I could see sort of red fake cake with three flowers - dark blue, light blue and pink flowers - on the top. Next to it, there was a picture of me wearing yukata and giving peace signs with both hands.

The box opened up so that each side (which supported the box) lied down. On the first side, there were pictures of my parents and my two siblings. Each of them held a white paper with one word on it. My dad had "happy", my mom had "birthday", my sister had "Anggie", and my brother had "#29". I almost cried a little because that was too sweet.




The second side consisted of five papers with different colours: yellow, blue, green, pink, and red. On the first paper (the yellow one), there were three English royal guards with "Tulis harapan di sini (write your wishes here)" writing on it. I did write down my wishes for this year ahead and I hope I can do my best to achieve it.

The third side was an envelope with ribbon to open. It had "open me :)" on its bottom left corner. To my surprise, I found the old picture of The Corrs - my most favourite band! Next to it, there were lyrics from So Young; one of hits by The Corrs:

"We are chasing the moon
Just running wild and free
We are following through
Every dream and every need"

I felt so young!

The fourth side was also covered with different colours of paper like the second one, but now in opposite order: started with red, then pink, green, blue and ended with yellow. The red paper had five cake stickers on it. Rest of papers were filled with wishes from my dad, mom, sister and brother. I read it one by one and at that point I could feel my eyes became hot and watery. I would have cried a river if I forgot that I was at office.


The gift was from my little sister. She lives in our hometown while I'm in Jakarta. Later I found out from mom that she practically made her room into a mess while finishing her birthday gift project for me.

I always appreciate hand-made gifts. I wonder how she came up with the idea and how she managed to involve my mom, dad and little brother in her project. I cherish her effort to make such a nice gift and time she had to spend.

It was one of the best gifts I've ever had.

Going home to my boarding house that day, I brought the box with me. I slept with it close to my pillow. I felt loved. And it's worth more than anything.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww sooo sweet!! Whatta toughtful sister and family you have, darling! You're blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Suhu + Mbak Ranilla: Sankyu.. <3

    ReplyDelete