Thursday 12 July 2012

Philippines: A Country to Remember (4)

May 20, 2012

“Indonesia? Apa kabar?”, he burst with excitement when said that.

It was our last day in Philippines. Annisa and I took a cab to airport, and the driver got excited knowing we’re from Indonesia.

I forget the name. I know I’m not good in remembering names, but I will never forget the conversation with him.

He told us he had ever worked in Tarakan, Kalimantan on a ship. Though only worked for months, his Bahasa was good.

“Indonesian women are beautiful! Cantik!”, he said. We laughed. Flattered.

That was just the opening for our conversation along the way to airport.

I could say he liked Indonesia. He liked the people, the food, the music. He sang Surat Undangan by the late Poppy Mercury. I sang along.

“I still have the cassette, you know. I play it every morning, my children like it.”

Whoa!

He’d travelled to many countries, not only Indonesia. He had ever been in Portugal, too.

“I learn their language,” he told us. Then he said something in Portuguese.

We almost clapped our hand.

“I was an actor, too.”

Really?

“In a movie, I always played as a bad guy. Robber, or something like that. I brought gun, then got shot. Then I died. End of story,” he laughed.

We talked about movies then. He is a fan of action movie.

We talked about gasoline price. We talk about taxes. We talked about places to visit in Philippines. We talked about life.

“Always bring your nation culture wherever you go.”

Yes, yes.

We talked about government. We talked about corruption.

“Government here is corrupt.”

Indonesia has the same problem, too.

“Really? But most Indonesian are moslem. Moslem do not corrupt.”

I felt glump in my throat. Moslem do not corrupt. The driver surely had a wonderful image of a moslem in his head. Moslem do not corrupt. If only he knew how many moslem are in jail for corruption, in Indonesia.

“Well, corruption is about the people, not religion,” I said.

Yes, yes. He said.

That insightful conversation with the driver was the closing for our visit in Philippines. It was dark when we arrived at NAIA. Annisa and I had dinner in airport – Shakey’s; the chicken made me crave for more – before went to boarding room.

Cebu Pacific came on time. We got the rearmost seat. I hugged Timmy while Annisa hugged her Kathlyn. Time to go home.


6 hours before

Annisa and I had checked out from Fersal at 8 am, now we stayed at Eurotel Cubao. We didn’t want to extend the stay at Fersal for one more day. We booked Eurotel for 12 hours only instead, though we’d check out at 5 pm.

It was 3 pm, at a deluxe room in Eurotel. I was surprised that Chloe came to say goodbye to us.

I was absorbed reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven, while Chloe talked to Annisa.

One hour later, three of us stood in front of Eurotel, ready to say goodbye to each other.

Chloe gave us a hug. Warmer and longer. Then she crossed the street, didn’t look back.
                                                                                                                                 
Annisa and I stood still. We didn’t have to say it but we knew, it might be our last visit in Philippines until years ahead. It might be the last time we met Chloe until the time we both didn’t know.

We went back to room in silent. Our bags had already been packed.

There were two bear dolls on the bed. The pink one – Kathlyn – was Annisa’s and the purple one – Timmy – was mine. Chloe and her kind sister gave them to us. Adopt me. That was written on a paper of those both.

I had a great time in Philippines.

Philippines have our hearts.

Thank you. Thank you.


2 comments:

  1. Read your post and I must say, what a sophisticated cab driver you met there! And by the way, I love Five People You Met in Heaven too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he is one of a kind! Before I jumped out of the cab, I promised him to tell about our convos in my blog. I'm not sure he will read about this post though :p

    And oh, talk about Mitch Albom, you should read Tuesdays with Morrie. It's a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete